With a great balance between protein and fat, this healthy Swiss cheeseburger will add flavor and health to any summer cookout. Because this burger is heavier in protein and fats, you will want to combine with a nice carb rich side dish like this healthy quinoa salad. You may find the calories to be a bit higher than you like. If that is the case, just increase the servings from 4 to 5 making sure the ground beef mixture gets divided into five patties as opposed to the original four patties!
- 4 Whole Wheat Hamburger Bun
- 4 Slices of Swiss Cheese
- 2 Cloves of Diced Garlic
- 1 tsp of Black Pepper
- 1 tsp of Dried Basil Leaves
- 1 lb of 96% Ground Beef
- 1 Tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp of Salt
- Combine the oil and seasoning into a medium size bowl and stir. Once this seasoning is mixed thoroughly, add in the pound of lean ground beef. Mix the meat with the seasoning for a minute or two. Make four or five equal size patties. Set aside as you heat up your grill (15 to 30 minutes).
- Reduce heat on grill to medium and then place the patties on the grill. Grill for 3 to 5 minutes on one side and then 3 minutes on the other side. Use your spatula and gently press down on the top of the patty. If the top of the patty still feels soft, then the patty is medium rare. If the top of the patty feels harder, then the patty is closer to medium well. Practice makes perfect so don’t give up if it doesn’t come out right the first time.
- Once the patties are cooked to your liking. Take them off the grill, place a slice of cheese on them and have them sit for about 5 minutes on a plate prior to serving. This will lock in the juices.
- Place the patty on a the whole wheat hamburger bun and start to stack with condiments and vegetables of your choosing.
- Lastly, enjoy this healthy Swiss cheeseburger with a healthy carb-rich side dish.